In the lead up to the Australian Federal Budget in May 2023, Australian Health Journal reached out to peak health industry bodies to hear about their priorities, either noted in pre-budget submissions lodged with Federal Government in January 2023 or in recent forums such as the Strengthening Medicare Taskforce.
Others have stated their priorities directly with Federal Government. Through these interviews, AHJ gives a final opportunity to communicate to all health stakeholders, the funding needs for a range of priorities. These range from new models of care to pilots and wholesale, system improvements to building more sustainable workforces to help grow certain sectors of the health system
The Chief Executive Officer of Australian College of Nursing, Adjunct Professor Kylie Ward FACN spoke in depth with Australian Health Journal about:
- The key recommendations in ACN’s pre-budget submission to Federal Government
- The impact of legislation requiring a Registered Nurse (RN) at every residential aged care facility from 1st July 2023
- Why scholarships in nursing leadership are important
- Why ACN has recommended the Government fund 200 Pacific nurses in 15 nations for the online ACN postgraduate certification
- The need for a multi-pronged approach that includes skilled migration in rebuilding the nursing workforce